For more than a decade, the Furniture4Kids Design Challenge has brought out the competitive and creative spirits of architecture and design professionals throughout the Dallas and Fort Worth area.
This year we are taking a fresh approach to Furniture4Kids through a new logo, new partners, and a new look! As always, this event will bring together the design, development, and construction industry in support of an incredible organization making an impact on North Texas area children, Dallas CASA.
Teams will be challenged to transform identical benches into functional works of art. A panel of judges will decide our winners and all entries will be auctioned off with proceeds benefitting Dallas CASA. This year, all entries will be available for bid though an online auction leading up to the event.
Meet the 2019 Judges
2019 Award Categories
Best of Furniture4Kids – This is the top award in the design challenge and represents the very best of the designs all around.
People’s Choice – 100% of the vote is based on the Furniture4Kids attendees. Each party guest will be given (1) ticket at the door to cast a vote for their favorite design.
Best Thematic Design – Every design is based on the theme of “UP”. This award will be presented to the submission with the best execution of the design theme.
Craftsmanship Award – In years past, there have been exceptional designs reflecting the highest level of detail and craftmanship. Whether your specialty is wood-working, upholstery, artistic expression, etc., this is your chance to shine!
About the Challenge
- Anyone can participate, but hurry! Spaces are limited. Enter early!
- Furniture4Kids will provide registered teams with (1) Bench.
- There is NO FEE to participate
- Design submissions will be judged at our VIP showcase and awarded the night of the F4K event.
- Registered teams will be provided 2 tickets to the preview party to present their entry and 4 tickets to the September 19, 2019 event.
- The judging panel will be made up of 5-7 members, and will include leaders of industry organizations, members of the community, and a representative from our designated non-profit, Dallas CASA. The judges are provided with a comprehensive packet of information, including the rules & regulations, judging criteria, and description of awards to be presented.
- Each winning team will receive a F4K prize package and trophy!
- Design submissions must be designed to be freestanding, 100% structurally sound, functional for use, free from sharp edges or protruding parts, and finished with user-friendly materials appropriate for outdoor use.
- Perishable items are not permitted.
- Teams may add on to their bench but may not alter its original shape. Props may be added but must fit in the noted display area. All items in the display will be auctioned in total as one complete item.
- Teams may include floor covering at their discretion to complete the vignette display.
- Electricity will NOT be available, therefore any electrical components included must be battery operated and provided by the entrant.
- Final entry MUST be submitted “IN TOTAL” including any additional items for props or display.
- Floor space of the piece cannot exceed 60”x60”.
- Upon pick up of the entry, all submitted items and documents, including the design submission, props, photos, video, and creative capital, become the property of Furniture4Kids.
- Furniture4Kids reserves the right to deem each entry appropriate for display and sale.
- Each team with an accepted entry will be provided 4 event tickets.
Wednesday June 19, 2019 – Registration Begins
- Teams captains can fill out the digital registration form here.
July - August - Bench Delivery
- The bench will be delivered to you by GL Seaman. We will set up a delivery time within the date range with your team captain.
- Items may be picked up from GL Seaman during the date range.
- August 7 is the last day for deliveries and pick-ups.
September 6, 2019 – Bench Pick up and Narrative Submission
- Master pieces must be ready for pick-up September 6 or you may deliver to Dallas CASA.
- Narrative Submissions must be submitted by September 6 including the story and listing of contents.
September 11, 2019 – Sponsor Reception and Entry Judging at Dallas CASA
- Located at Dallas CASA, 2757 Swiss Ave, Dallas, TX 75204, at 5pm
- Entries will be on display for a pre-party for sponsors, judges, and you!
- Furniture4Kids team (2 representatives) will present their masterpiece to the judges
- Experience Dallas CASA’s mission and learn all the ways you can support Furniture4Kids and Dallas CASA.
September 12-19, 2019
- Entries will be available for bid through an online raffle closing at the event on September 19th.
September 19, 2019 – Furniture4Kids Event
- 6pm at 6500 Cedar Springs, Dallas, Texas 75235
The committee and Dallas CASA are thankful for those who contribute their creativity, time, and energy to support Dallas CASA’s mission. We believe that each individual’s contributions are bettering the lives of children in need in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. We appreciate your support!